We have been traveling the world since we were in high school and in our first jobs both of which required extensive domestic travel. We took our international travel to the next level during a two-year break between career changes and a second career in consulting which required extensive domestic and international travel. When work took one of us to an interesting location, we added time into the trip to explore. And when we took time off, we took off on more trips.
We have so far visited 49 states (sorry North Dakota), 110 countries, and 7 continents. We frequently return to our favorite destinations. Virtually all of our travel is independent where we plan our own itineraries, book our own travel and accommodations, and often arrange for local guides to gain a deeper understanding of the places and the people.
Our mission is to seek out unique locations and cultures; incredible natural locations; interesting cities, events, art, and historic exhibitions and theater; and all types of adventures and “life experiences”. We have a particular interest in wine and the world’s wine regions, having explored dozens of regions throughout North and South America, Europe. Australia, New Zealand, Africa, and Asia.
Travel to us is not lying on a beach or relaxing at a spa. Rather it is a way to actively:
- Explore new places
- Meet new people
- Experience different cuisines and cultures
- Learn about various wine regions
- Take advantage of events, cultural and educational opportunities
- Experience adventures that are unavailable at home
- Travel on our own schedule
- Spend the time we wish at different places
- Avoid the hassle or the expense of group trips or the luxe resorts and cruise ships in which most travel agents specialize
Our blog represents a lifetime of experiences of a couple of inveterate world travelers as we:
- Hike, bike, dive, snorkel, and safari through the world’s most scenic and ecologically-rich natural landscapes environments
- Walk the neighborhoods and streets of the world’s most interesting cities and regions
- Experience new adventures such as camping out in Antarctica with the penguins, snorkeling with humpback whales in Tonga, kayaking among whales in Glacier Bay, hiking Peru’s Inca Trail, and rafting the rapids of the Grand Canyon
- Celebrate New Year in Sydney, Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Carnival in Rio, and cherry blossom festival in Kyoto
- Travel to world-class cities such as New York, London, and Paris to take in first-run plays, visit world-class museums, restaurants, and special art and historic exhibits
- Explore wine regions in all corners of the globe, discovering more to do than just taste wine
- Seek out the best and most interesting food in markets and restaurants around the world
Join us as we identify fascinating places to visit and new experiences to enrich our lives. Take advantage of the itineraries that we craft for independent travel and the best intimate small tours to explore those areas of the world such as Papua New Guinea, Antarctica, and the Galapagos where independent travel is impractical or impossible.